Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Tryout With The Phillies (part 1)


What the hell am I doing here? 

The question had been plaguing my thoughts for the last 24 hours.  I knew where I was and I how I got there, but for the life of me I didn’t know why I was chosen.  Sure I had a nasty slider and could hit to all fields but that was with a whiffle ball.  I hadn’t even played ball since riding the pine in ninth grade JV.  So how in the hell did they get a hold of my scouting tape?  Who even made a scouting tape of me?  Weird.  Now I had to figure out who was stalking me and how I'm going to make the Phillies.


It all started two weeks ago with a simple phone call.

“sdougfadjfjdlfjdo Aaron”  a voice said with a indecipherable southern drawl.

“That’s me” I said hesitantly.

“Yea ldkf;odf Charlie Manuel.  Ldjfdljfodaigjdo.”

“What?  Steve is this you?  If it is it’s too early for this shit.”

“No ;lkdjfodifjdpoi Charlie Manuel.  Odfijoafhdofj Spring Training Invite aofudofjdoifjsda.”

“Wait, did you say something about spring training.”

“Sorry about that.  I didn’t even know he knew how to work a phone.  Hi this is Rueben Amaro Jr., and yes we are extending to you an invitation to join the Phillies in Clearwater and for a try out.”

“Done!”

How could I say no?  It’s been my dream since I was 4 to try out for the Phillies.  Damn the details like: Why me? Shouldn’t I have been drafted by someone?  Do I have a contract? Will there be a kosher meal on the flight?

So here I am. Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment